Maria’s “No Guilt” Pancakes & Waffles
Customize this wholesome pancake & waffle recipe with your favorite mix-ins.
- 11⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup Four Grain Hot Cereal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 11⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Stir the flour, cereal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the milk, eggs and oil in a large bowl with a whisk. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- To make pancakes, spray a griddle or 12-inch nonstick skillet with vegetable cooking spray and heat over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbles form on the pancake surface and the edges are dry. Turn and cook until golden.
- To make waffles, spray a waffle iron with vegetable cooking spray and heat. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the waffle iron for each 4-inch waffle (use more for larger or Belgian-style waffles). Cook for 5 minutes or until steam stops coming out of the waffle iron. Carefully remove the waffles.
- Customize your waffles or pancakes by adding 1 cup of fresh fruit like blueberries or chopped bananas or your favorite chopped nuts to the batter.
- For pumpkin pancakes or waffles, add 1/2 cup canned pumpkin to the egg mixture and add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the flour mixture.