This recipe will be a treat for children AND adults! These sandwiches can be made Vegan if you use coconut oil in stead of butter and 1 flax egg in lieu of the egg yolk (1 tablespoon flax seed meal + 2.5 tablespoons water. Let sit for 5 minutes). You may need to cook for less time (12-15 minutes) since the coconut oil heats up quicker than butter.
We recommend keeping the Vegan Salted Caramel on the side for a less messy cookie experience!
- 13⁄4 cup Hearty Grains & Seeds Hot Cereal Multi-serve bag
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup tightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 large bananas - about 3 cups (for the Banana “Nice” Cream)
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (for the Banana “Nice” Cream)
- 11⁄4 cup coconut milk, full fat if possible (for the Vegan Salted Caramel)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (for the Vegan Salted Caramel)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (for the Vegan Salted Caramel)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coconut oil or butter (for the Vegan Salted Caramel)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (for the Vegan Salted Caramel)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the butter and sugars in a bowl on a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer. Cream together for a couple of minutes until all is combined and a light, fluffy mixture.
- Add the egg yolk and blend for another few minutes.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to combine the mixture
- Spread over a parchment-lined sheet. This will cover about half of the sheet (or use a square 9x9 pan)
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let rest for 2 hours on a cooling rack
- While the cookie sheet rests, make your Banana “Nice” Cream. In a blender or food processor, mix 2 large frozen bananas with 2 tablespoons almond milk. Blend for about 1 minute and add the extra tablespoon of almond milk if the consistency is too thick. Spread over a parchment-lined loaf pan and freeze for another hour.
- If you are interested in making the vegan salted caramel to layer with these Cereal Nice Cream Sandwiches, stir together the coconut milk and coconut sugar in a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a boil (stirring occasionally), then turn the heat to low. Simmer another 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. Once the caramel starts to turn darker (a few minutes before the end of the simmer), remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla extract. Add more sea salt to taste and place in fridge to cool off and thicken up.
- Once your components are done cooling, start assembling! Cut your oatmeal sheet in half. Place one of the halves into a parchment lined loaf pan
- Use a spatula to scoop out the Banana “Nice” Cream and layer onto the first cookie half.
- Spread the salted caramel over the “Nice” Cream or leave it on the side to dip the cookie sandwiches into. We recommend keeping it on the side for a less messy cookie experience!
- Place the second cookie sheet half on top to complete the sandwich. Cut into 5 rectangle bars and serve immediately. Place back into the freezer if needed.
- This recipe can be made Vegan if you use coconut oil in stead of butter and 1 flax egg in lieu of the egg yolk (1 tablespoon flax seed meal + 2.5 tablespoons water. Let sit for 5 minutes. You may need to cook for less time (12-15 minutes) since the coconut oil heats up quicker than butter. We recommend keeping the Vegan Salted Caramel on the side for a less messy cookie experience!