October 13, 2020
Need an easy office snack to help you stay productive while you work? You’ve come to the right place! It doesn’t matter if you’re working from home or from the office, you need to keep your energy levels high with the right fuel for your body and brain.
In this article, we’ll give you ideas for nutritious office snacks that will keep you energized, sustain your focus, and help you do your best work of the day.
We’ll also introduce you to oatmeal on a mission and let you in on how you can be a part of our unique community effort to supply servings of our hot cereal to food banks in your area.
Easy Office Snacks
1) Hot Cereal
Hot cereal is one of the best office snacks because it’s easy to make and can be customized to your heart’s content.
Choose one of The Soulfull Project’s ready-to-cook hot cereals — they only take a bit of hot water and three minutes to prepare — and you’ll get hearty and heart-healthy ingredients, including:
This unique combination of fruit, nuts, and grains will help you feel full longer, maintain brain activity, and avoid the sugary snacks that can cause your energy levels to crash shortly after.
You can even add your own ingredients for the perfect office snack to keep you going between meals.
This choice of pre-packaged, self-contained snack is also a good way to maintain hygiene in the office so you don’t get sick.
Smoothies are ideal as an office snack because they’re packed full of nutrition and, when made with the right ingredients, have all the macronutrients — protein, carbohydrates, and fat — that you need to power through the day.
In most cases, you’ll even get a healthy dose of water so you can reach your goal of eight cups a day.
Here’s one of our favorite vegan oatmeal smoothie recipes to help get you through the mid-morning or mid-afternoon doldrums.
Tropical Oatmeal Smoothie
- ½ cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 small banana
- 1½ cups of plain unsweetened coconut milk
- Juice of ½ small lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ¾ cup of frozen strawberries
- ¾ cup of frozen mango
- ¾ cup of frozen pineapple
- Measure oats into blender
- Cover and blend to a fine powder
- Add ice cubes, banana, coconut milk, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt
- Blend until smooth
- Add frozen strawberry, mango, and pineapple
- Blend for at least one minute or until smooth
- Serve and enjoy!
Garnish with fresh fruit for even more of that tropical feel.
For more delicious and nutritious smoothie recipes, check out this article from The Soulfull Project blog: 7 Healthy Oatmeal Smoothie Recipes That Taste Amazing.
3) Oatmeal Bars Office Snacks
As an office snack, oatmeal bars are a great way to fill your stomach, squeeze in some nutrition, and keep your body and mind running on all cylinders no matter what’s on your schedule at work.
You will have to plan ahead — your boss probably won’t appreciate you baking in the break room — but the benefits are well worth the effort.
Whip up a batch of these oatmeal bars the night before and you’ll be ready to snack to your heart’s content at the office (or at home!) the next day.
Blondie Oatmeal Bars
- ¼ cup of Four Grain Hot Cereal (Wanna go gluten-free? Try our Hearty Grains & Seeds Hot Cereal instead.)
- 1 can of drained and rinsed chickpeas
- ¾ cup of light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of your favorite nut butter
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
- ⅓ cup of chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 415 degrees Fahrenheit
- Blend the first six ingredients (not the chocolate chips) in an electric mixer until they’re the consistency of cookie dough
- Mix in the chocolate chips
- Spread the mixture in a greased baking pan (We use the 8” x 8” size, but you can use whatever you have.)
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown
- Let cool for 10 minutes
- Cut oatmeal bars into the size and shape that works best for you
- Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator
With this recipe, you’ll even have enough to share with your coworkers. Just imagine how popular you’ll be.
If you do plan on sharing these around the office, it’s a good idea to separate the oatmeal bars at home and wrap them in cellophane or put them in single-serving plastic baggies. Safety first!
4) Nuts And Fruit
Even something as simple as a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit can make for an energizing office snack.
Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, and pistachios provide plenty of protein and healthy fat to keep you feeling full longer, while your favorite fruit — we like apples and oranges for their portability — supplies slow-digesting fructose to power your brain through a long afternoon.
5) Popcorn Office Snacks
Popcorn is a low-calorie, low-fat snack that everyone loves. (Keep in mind that if you’re sensitive to gluten, popcorn can irritate your stomach.)
Also, while plain popcorn is a whole-grain food that contains plenty of vitamins and minerals, the toppings you may add — butter, cheese flavor, and even caramel or toffee — can contain sugar and trans-fat.
If you decide to add flavorings, do so in moderation and consider including nuts and fruit in your office snack so you eat less popcorn.
6) Overnight Oatmeal
We love overnight oatmeal as a snack because it tastes great, fills you up, and provides plenty of energy to get you through the workday.
Like some of the other office snacks on this list, overnight oatmeal does take a bit of planning and preparation the night before. But if you learn how to make it, it’s super easy to grab a single serving as you rush out the door (or to your computer at the kitchen table) in the morning.
- Rolled oats
- Milk, water, or broth
- Seeds (optional)
- Yogurt (optional)
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Sweetener (optional)
- Your favorite toppings
- Add 1 cup of rolled oats to the container of your choice
- Add 1 cup of liquid (a bit more or a bit less to change final consistency)
- Add ⅛ cup of seeds of your choice (we like hemp, chia, and flax)
- Add 1 tablespoon of your favorite yogurt
- Add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract (add more or less to taste)
- Mix oats and liquid (and any other ingredients) until you don’t see any clumps
- Seal or cover with a lid
- Place in the refrigerator for at least two hours
- In the morning or just before you eat it at the office, add your favorite toppings
For delicious suggestions on how to top and customize your overnight oatmeal, check out the recipes in this Soulfull Project article: How To Make Overnight Oatmeal In 10 Easy Steps.
Boost Productivity With Hot Cereal In Any Office Snack
Want to pack even more nutrition into your office snacks? Include hot cereal in the mix.
When preparing your smoothie, oatmeal bars, or overnight oatmeal, substitute any one of The Soulfull Project’s hot cereal varieties instead of plain oatmeal for even more protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fat in every bite.
With our hot cereal, you’ll feel good inside and out because you’ll be doing everything you can to maintain the health and well-being of your body and brain.
And, with The Soulfull Project’s serving-for-serving program, you’ll also be helping your neighbors experience the same nutritional benefits that you enjoy.
For every serving of The Soulfull Project’s products you purchase, we’ll provide a serving of our hot cereal to a regional food bank in your area.
It’s our goal to make the world a better place one serving at a time. You can help!
For more information on the serving-for-serving program and to check out all our delicious hot cereal flavors that are perfect as an office snack, visit TheSoulfullProject.com today.